mercoledì 5 settembre 2007

Back in 1986 Exene had this really handsome boyfriend poet who was struggling as an actor. Technically, Exene was still married to band co-founder John Doe (who is also a poet), but this new guy was funny, spontaneous, intelligent, romantic, talented and totally enamored with Exene. Back then I thought Curt Kirkwood was the sexiest man alive (I still had a guitar-player fixation leftover from my ex-husband) so I didn’t pay much attention to Exene’s Viggo. I thought the song she wrote for Viggo, “You”, was endearing, though I often wondered how John Doe felt in the studio hearing his wife record a song about falling in love with another man . ( Machelle Dunlop)


YOU

You take a chance
fall in love with a man
3000 miles away.
Try to call and picture his stance
at the pay phone down the hall.
Let me know when you go to bed
Talk to me during the day
'Cause I'm stuck on you
like flies to glue or trash on broadway.

(CHORUS)
You call me from 8th Avenue,
You don't have a phone.
I wanna call you and it makes me sad
because I can't talk to you and I wanna talk to you
And I wanna talk to you.
Hey you, I'm calling you.
Somewhere on my body if you look real close, you'll find you.
You'll find you.

Talk to me while Puerto Rican prostitutes ask for a date
and 2 kids are makin' fun of a bum who fell flat on his face.
You put polaroids into my pocket,
Walked home from La Guardia.
You asked me to dance in the rain in the woods on Staten Island.

(REPEAT CHORUS)
Hey, you.


Exene Cervenka - He's Got a She (1989)
(home movie of Viggo Mortensen, Exene Cervenka, John Doe and new wife Gigi)